Just a few insights from participating in a collaborative class activity on MediaWiki:
- MediaWiki can be incorporated into a LMS and become a gated and protected learning space.
- MediaWiki allows participants to create pages and to create and edit content within those pages. It is a collaborative work space where each participant manages their level of contribution.
- MediaWiki contrasts with threaded discussion forums that separate each author’s content and allow each author to retain some ownership and control over both their ideas and the expression/presentation of those ideas. A forum also enables people to see at a glance a “hot issue”.
- The participant of a Wiki sees what is published (the “latest” content is the content), whereas the participant of a Discussion Forum chooses threads to view and respond to (selects content).
- I believe that Forums are very powerful aids for reflection and social learning. Wikis appear to offer an online work space rather than an online discussion space.